Sunday, April 02, 2006

Life is a Miracle

Current Music: Bush – Mouth (remix)






“What should I do?”

“Shoot for the stars.”

“What if I miss?”

“Just taking the shot makes your extraordinary”

“What if I’d rather be normal?

“Then you’ll never achieve anything.”

“But what does it mean to achieve?”

“It means you do something worthwhile.”

“Is being normal not worthwhile?”


Every day we are in a battle. This battle is between the demands of our time. I have been told that the best thing to do with my life is to be something extraordinary, the best at something, and if I just put my mind it, I will achieve. I have the power.

I think I sincerely believe that, at least I have in the past. I wanted to be revolutionary. I wanted to change the minds of millions. I wanted to create the movement that would storm across the world.

But now I am left to ask, and I cannot help but see it this way, where would my enjoyment be in doing so? Would it be the same as living a sedentary life? Or more to the point “is being normal not worthwhile?”

The farmer has his place. We all know this, but if a bright, young, gifted university student said he wanted to go a farm and life a normal life, what would we say? I argue we, the society, would say “then make sure you are the best darn farmer out there.”

But what if he’d rather just be a normal farmer?

What we have forgotten altogether is that there is life outside of the profession. The more I enter the professional level of my career, the more I realize sometimes I’d rather give up for more time at home, more time with my family, and more time really living life.

What do I mean by living life? I mean experiencing, not droning in the same tasks every day, yet still enjoying the simple, basic, natural things.

Imagine.

A warm tomato plucked from your own garden. Savor it in your mouth.

A cool breeze kicking around leaves, at the mountain’s point, while you watch the sun set. Feel it. Breath it.

Live it.

Why should we live our lives?

Life is a Miracle.

(Or maybe life is just a big inside joke.)

[A big thanks to Brady Wiggins for the inside joke reference, which is, in itself, an inside joke.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ironic thing is that the so called normal life isn't really normal at all. I daresay there are a lot more people trying to excel in their profession than there are people that are trying to excel at simply living.

Have you ever seen Studio Ghibli's Only Yesterday? It's a wonderful movie and it discusses this very question (right down to using the same farming metaphor).

Th. said...

.

Ah yes.....

When I saw that URL, I thought I recognized it. And I do remember this post.

I have been here before....