Saturday, February 11, 2006

The "L" word, and Closer


Currently Listening to: Collective Soul - Satellite







Love. It's word some people have a hard time saying. It’s something that comes and goes, but once it comes, it’s never the same afterwards. I’ve had the luck of never seeing it go. I don’t know what I’ve done in life to deserve that, but I hope I keep it up.

We’ve all heard the phrase “true love,” it’s a romantic idea in pop culture everywhere. It’s cliché, but you know what? It sure is great when you’ve got it. It’s the best thing in the world, because more than just “any ol love,” this never goes away. That plane flight doesn’t kill it, it never gets lost and runs away, it never gets bored, and it never says goodbye. Throughout life, and through death, it’s the one constant I can rely on. In a treacherous world of deceptive relativity, I have something that won’t change with conditions, situations, or context. It defies time and space. Doubt flies at the sight of it.

I wish I knew it better. I wish I saw it every aspect of my life. I wish I wouldn’t forget so easily that it’s there. Luckily for me it is as tangible as my next meal, with the added effect of not getting eaten every time I see it. In times like this I think Plato was right when he taught his people, a materially obsessed, status seeking people, that there was more to life than the mere reflections of reality they saw and depended on everyday. Indeed, there is something more. There is an idea, out there, or better said an ideal. A form that transcends each individual moment and incident, it is reflected in the basest of things, but its nobility is often left behind

Close

Within this fallen sea
I fear, I push away, and yet, still
Close to the one I love, still
Close to reaching the sky, and touching the sun.
Close to feathers flying in the wind, and oh so
Close to falling leaves in the eastern-most town.

The aura seeps in, leaving its mist behind
And solidifying into something
Close to you again and thoughts
Close to the divine that scream “I’m
Close to what I want, it’s here, but
Close isn’t good enough.”

Be.
It is seen.
What could be done
Will never be until I’m so much more than

Close.

© Michael Paul Van Dusen 2006

1 comment:

Dusey said...

It's a poem, I did write it yes, and I want to change it into a song due to your comments. I'll have my friend Devin help me write some music to it.